Zambia is a landlocked country in Southern Africa and is home of legendary African safaris, Victoria Falls, the wild Zambezi River, abundant wildlife and raw wilderness.
4441 of approximately 2,0252 Catholic Sisters in Zambia have been served by ASEC programs.
Pictured Above: Victoria Falls, or Mosi-oa-Tunya, meaning "the smoke that thunders", is a waterfall on the Zambezi River at the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe. At 1.7 kilometers wide and up to 100 meters high they are not be the tallest or widest falls in the world, but many consider them to be the most spectacular.
Recent News & Reflections
- Sisters Sustaining Sisters: Bring Vitality to Communities of Women Religious in Africa
- 4 Inspirational Homes in Africa Where Catholic Sisters Are Supporting Those with Disabilities
- Advancing the girl child in Africa: How Catholic sisters are empowering the next generation of women
Download the Zambia Country Report (PDF) for statistics about students and alumnae of ASEC's programs.
There's been a 1.4% decrease in the number of women religious in Zambia from 2012 to 2017. Zambia is one of only two countries that ASEC serves that has seen a decline.
Alumnae in Zambia
- Education (66.6%) and healthcare (40.7%) are the top Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that ASEC alumnae in country contribute to in their ministries (N=27)
- 70% received leadership positions in their ministries (N=27)
- 96% demonstrated effective use of skills in their ministries (N=25)
- 92% demonstrated effective use of skills in their congregations (N=24)
Sisters Leadership Development Initiative (SLDI) in Zambia
SLDI has been working in Zambia since 2010.
ASEC has served 355 Catholic sisters from Zambia through the SLDI program.
- 42% of 2019 SLDI participants in Zambia report administration (21%) or teaching (21%) as their ministry (N=73)
- 36.8% of SLDI participants were trained in finance and 36.1% in administration, as of 2018 (N=280)
SLDI Partners of Zambia
- Advantech Consulting Limited (Kenya)
- Christian Organizations Research and Advisory Trust (CORAT) (Kenya)
- Enterprise Management Development Center (Kenya)
- Viffar Consulting Ltd. (Kenya)
- Global Telecom (Zambia)
- Zambia Association of Sisterhoods (Zambia)
Recent SLDI Reporting
Higher Education for Sisters in Africa (HESA) in Zambia
HESA has been working in Zambia since 2014 (January).
ASEC is supporting 423 Catholic sisters in Zambia to study for degrees and diplomas through the HESA program.
- 55% of HESA participants in Zambia report teaching as their ministry(N=22)
- 8% of HESA participants in Zambia are studying in the field of education (N=25)
HESA Partners of Zambia
Recent HESA Reporting
The Scholarship Program in Zambia
The Scholarship Program has been active in Zambia since 2016.
In 2016 ASEC expanded the Scholarship Program to Malawi and Zambia to fulfill the need for secondary and diploma level education among women religious.
47 women religious in Zambia have been able to attend school because of ASEC's Scholarship Program. Sisters are studying for their secondary education or two-year diploma.