Situated in East-Central Africa, Uganda is home to the tallest mountain range in Africa-- the source that feeds the world’s longest river and the continent’s largest lake.
6701 of approximately 3,6272 Catholic Sisters in Uganda have been served by ASEC programs.
Pictured Above: The source of the famous Nile River, Lake Victoria rests between three countries of Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. Lake Victoria covers an approximate 68,8002 kilometers (42,7502 miles)
Recent News & Reflections
- Sisters Sustaining Sisters: Bring Vitality to Communities of Women Religious in Africa
- Congregational Capacity Building in Uganda
- 4 Inspirational Homes in Africa Where Catholic Sisters Are Supporting Those with Disabilities
Download the Uganda Country Report (PDF) for statistics about students and alumnae of ASEC's programs.
There's been a 13% increase in the number of women religious in Uganda from 2012 to 2017.
Alumnae in Uganda
- Ending poverty (53.1%) and healthcare (46.8%) are the top Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that ASEC alumnae in country contribute to in their ministries (N=94)
- 85% received leadership positions in their ministries (N=96)
- 95% demonstrated effective use of skills in their ministries (N=87)
- 90% demonstrated effective use of skills in their congregations (N=97)
Sisters Leadership Development Initiative (SLDI) in Uganda
SLDI has been working in Uganda since 2007.
ASEC has served 462 Catholic sisters from Uganda through the SLDI program.
- 23% of 2019 SLDI participants in Uganda report teaching as their ministry (N=99)
- 41.2% of SLDI participants were trained in finance and 40.7% in administration, as of 2018 (N=364)
SLDI Partners of Uganda
Recent SLDI Reporting
Higher Education for Sisters in Africa (HESA) in Uganda
HESA has been working in Uganda since 2013.
ASEC is supporting 2083 Catholic sisters in Uganda to study for degrees and diplomas through the HESA program.
- 40% of HESA participants in Uganda report teaching as their ministry (N=116)
- 55% of HESA participants in Uganda are studying in the field of education (N=208)