Located in West Africa, Nigeria is one of the most populated countries in the world and one of the largest economies in Africa.
5811 of approximately 5,6942 Catholic Sisters in Nigeria have been served by ASEC programs.
Recent News & Reflections
- Sisters Sustaining Sisters: Bring Vitality to Communities of Women Religious in Africa
- Catholic sisters are serving Africa's vulnerable during global pandemic
- Leading the way: Nigerian nun's grant writing skills help thousands in need
Download the Nigeria Country Report (PDF) for statistics about students and alumnae of ASEC's programs.
- There's been a 6.8% increase in the number of women religious in Nigeria from 2012 to 2017.
Alumnae in Nigeria
- Education (63.1%) and healthcare (37.8%) are the top Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that ASEC alumnae in country contribute to in their ministries (N=95)
- 65% received leadership positions in their ministries (N=78)
- 95% demonstrated effective use of skills in their ministries (N=82)
- 87% demonstrated effective use of skills in their congregations (N=78)
Sisters Leadership Development Initiative (SLDI) in Nigeria
SLDI has been working in Nigeria since 2007.
ASEC has served 431 Catholic sisters from Nigeria through the SLDI program.
- 24% of 2019 SLDI participants in Nigeria report bursar as their ministry (N=75)
- 44% of SLDI participants were trained in administration and 39% in finance, as of 2018 (N=355)
SLDI Partners of Nigeria
Recent SLDI Reporting
Higher Education for Sisters in Africa (HESA) in Nigeria
HESA has been working in Nigeria since 2014.
ASEC is supporting 1503 Catholic sisters in Nigeria to study for degrees and diplomas through the HESA program.
- 28% of HESA participants in Nigeria report bursar as their ministry (N=60)
- 50% of HESA participants in Nigeria are studying in the field of education (N=143)
HESA Partners of Nigeria
- Catholic University College of Ghana (Ghana)
- Chemchemi Ya Uzima Institute (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Tangaza University College (Nairobi, Kenya)
- The Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Nigerian Conference of Women Religious (NCWR) (Enugu State, Nigeria)
- Sacred Heart School of Nursing (Nigeria)
- Veritas University Abuja (Abuja, Nigeria)