Help us reach our goal of $50,000!
Help us provide scholarships to 25 women religious in Tanzania.Donate Now! »
Recent News & Reflections
- Volunteering in Tanzania changed my life
- Scholarshop recipients graduate from Bigwa Secondary School
- 22 ASEC scholarship recipients graduate from Bigwa Secondary School
Meeting unique educational needs
ASEC’s Scholarship Program provides two-year scholarships for women religious to complete high school or a college diploma. So far, 245 women religious in Africa have benefited from this program.
The Scholarship Program was initiated in 2012 to meet the unique educational needs expressed by sisters in Tanzania.
- There are more than 14,500 women religious serving in Tanzania, and about 60% lack secondary education
- Sisters were not qualifying for enrollment in undergraduate degree programs.
- Two-year college is an excellent opportunity for sisters. They can learn skills to effectively serve their ministries and communities.
Bigwa Secondary School in Morogoro, Tanzania
Bigwa Secondary School is a residential high school for religious women in Tanzania who do not have a high school diploma. These women are typically in their twenties and have gone through the formation program in their communities. Our efforts in support of the school are multidimensional. In addition to providing scholarships for students, we have also facilitated the construction of a dining hall, a dormitory, a fish pond, and a state-of-the-art Science laboratory consisting of three well-equipped biology, physics and chemistry labs!
Program Expansion to Malawi and Zambia
In 2016 ASEC expanded the Scholarship Program to Malawi and Zambia to fulfill the need for secondary and diploma level education among women religious.
The Scholarship Program Structure
Sisters recieve two scholarships to complete secondary school or its equivalency (in most African countries, this is via a certificate). This qualifies them for entry to higher levels of education. Many of the sisters study at Bigwa Sisters' Secondary School in Morogoro, Tanzania
Sisters studying for college diplomas are studying for degrees in:
- Social Work
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Business Administration
Donate to Our Scholarship Program
Consider supporting a sister to acquire a high school diploma or two-year college degree for only $1,000/year.Donate Now »