Stories from the ground
Sr. Janet gains support for an Orphanage and Elderly Home
I am very grateful to all the funders and the facilitators who have enabled us to acquire skills in Project Management. God reward your generous heart.
Sr. Janet is a Social Worker and administrator at Nkokonjeru Providence Cheshire Home, Uganda. Providence Home takes care of children with different disabilities, elderly persons who are poor/sick, orphans and needy children.
In 2007-2009, Sr. Janet participated in the SLDI program, Project Management Track. She has implemented the skills she acquired in the three- year leadership training and is using these skills to improve and sustain her ministry and the community.
She explains “I acquired skills in proposal writing and project management. In 2010, I used the skills to write a project proposal for agriculture project for Nkokonjeru Providence Cheshire Home farm. The grant application was successful with $5,500 funds by the Conrad Hilton Fund for Sisters for banana seedlings, maize seeds, cassava stems, farm inputs, clearing land and labor.”
This project has helped us in realizing the goals of our ministry in the following ways:
- It has enabled us to increase food production for the residents; this has reduced our feeding expenses.
- The established gardens, especially the banana plantation, has been used as a demonstration ground for agricultural training purposes for both the residents of Providence Home and other farmers from the community around.
- Income has been generated, which is used to meet the needs of our residents to help pay medical bills, buy scholastic materials, and pay school fees for some children
- The diet/feeding of the residents has been slightly improved.
- It has also created employment opportunity to the local people around who work in the banana plantation and other gardens and are paid to earn a living.
- This project has been successful and sustainable
Sr. Juliet adds, “I am very grateful to all the funders and the facilitators who have enabled us to acquire skills in Project Management. God reward your generous heart.”
This project is directly addressing UN Sustainable Development Goal(s):Sr. Janet Namiiro
Empowering Sisters to Lead
There is much to celebrate regarding the impact of sisters who are benefiting from our programs.read more success stories »